S.E.A.Lab participated in the sixth series of international conference *International Renewable Energy Storage Conference and Exhibition (IRES 2011)*, which took place in Berlin between 28 and 30 November 2011, with two papers:
* COMPARISON OF DIFFERENT ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEMS FOR THE SUPPORT OF 100% RES INTEGRATION IN THE ISLAND OF AGIOS EFSTRATIOS; GREECE S. Efthimiadis, K.A. Kavadias, D. Zafirakis, J.K. Kaldellis
* THE ROLE OF GREEN ENERGY STORAGE IN GREECE IN VIEW OF THE 2020 RENEWABLE ENERGY TARGETS D. Zafirakis, D. Alikaj, K.A. Kavadias, J.K. Kaldellis
S.E.A. Lab, along with Optimisation of Production Systems Laboratory, successfully participated in 4ο National Conference «The Application of Renewable Energy in one ambitious and credible National Action Plan» organized by the National Technical University - Renewable Energy Resources Unit and held at Hall - International Conference Centre between 10 & 12 May 2010, presenting the following research papers.
- The social dimension of financing private investments in RES. Kaldellis J. , Zafirakis D. , Kondili E.
- Analysis of technical reliability of wind turbines operating in Greece. Kavadias K. , Kalafatis E. , Zafirakis D. , Kaldellis J.
- Optimal sizing of photovoltaic hybrid system for autonomous telecommunications base stations.. Zafirakis D., Ninou I. , Kavadias K. , Kaldellis J.
- A comparative assessment of environmental impacts of different types of biofuels. Papapostolou Ch. , Sakelli E. , Kondili E. , Kaldellis J.
Soft Energy Applications Laboratory, along with Optimisation of Production Systems Laboratory of TEI Piraeus, participated at the 11ο International Congress "World Renewable Energy Conference XI", that took place at Abu Dhabi (24.09-01.10.2010).
The aim of the conference was the presentation of progress in all fields of Renewable Energy Sources (RES) as well as to encourage and support the promotion of RES in all countries. The Conference refers to the fields of biomass, wind, solar, wave energy, Geothermal, and issues Energy Strategy and Policy.
At the conference, the work of ten members of the Laboratory was presented, referred to research and Consulting activities:
- 'The wind energy evolution: From a complementary energy source to a leading priority in the global energy scene',_ J. K. Kaldellis (invited paper)
- 'Optimization methods and tools for sustainable water resources management. Experiences and trends',_ Emilia Kondili, J K Kaldellis (invited paper)
- 'Technological and Environmental Impacts Evaluation of Biomass and Biofuels'_ Supply Chain', Christiana Papapostolou, Emilia Kondili and J. K. Kaldellis
- 'Wind-based Combined Electricity and Clean Water Production for Remote Islands'_, E. Kondili, J. K. Kaldellis, D. Tiligadas
- Experimental validation of the optimum photovoltaic angle in urban environment areas,_ Kosmas A. Kavadias, John Karagiannis, Dimitrios Zafirakis and J. K. Kaldellis
- Dust Deposition Impact on Photovoltaic-Assisted Water Pumping Systems_, J. K. Kaldellis, Panagiotis Fragos, Marina Kapsali, Dimitrios Zafirakis and Georgios Spyropoulos
- Optimization of energy autonomous wind-photovoltaic hybrid systems_, D. Zafirakis, J. K. Kaldellis, K. Kavadias
- Evaluation of noise impact on the basis of acoustic noise emissions measurements for onshore wind farms_, C. Garakis, J. K. Kaldellis
- Size optimization of wind-based pumped hydro storage systems based on economic criteria, M_. Kapsali, K. Anagnostopoulos, J. K. Kaldellis
- Building Comprehensive Meteorological Data Files with the Use of Artificial Neural Networks,_ K. A. Kavadias, A. G. Paliatsos, K. P. Moustris, I. K. Larissi and A. Bartzokas
Besides the two invitees work, which presented the latest developments in wind energy and optimization of water resource management, the remaining tasks are products of research efforts of undergraduate and postgraduate students of the Faculty of Engineering, in collaboration with other laboratories and Departments of TEI Piraeus, and National Technical University of Athens and the University of Ioannina.
The conference, in which more than 500 research scientists from at least 60 states were presented , was very interesting and it is estimated that the presence of members of the Mechanical Engineering Department of TEI Piraeus advertised the work of the TEI Laboratories and TEI Piraeus in general. The next 12 ^ ^ the World Conference will be held in Denver, USA in 2012.