The Laboratory of Soft Energy Applications and Environmental Protection was founded in the late 80s at TEI Piraeus. In it's long operation, the Laboratory has accumulated considerable knowledge and experience in a wide range of topics in the areas of energy and environment. The Workshop's objectives include:
- Providing high quality education at undergraduate and postgraduate level in the Laboratory's field of specialization.
- The development of research and study activities in the thematic areas of energy and environment with emphasis on renewable energy sources (RES).
- Creating the appropriate infrastructure to support research and educational activities.
- Showcasing at national and European level as one of the most specialized research laboratories on energy and environmental issues.
In this context, the Laboratory provides high quality educational work in a wide range of fields related to Renewable & Soft Energy Applications, with special emphasis on the conditions and possibilities of their implementation in Greece.
In addition, the Laboratory works in collaboration with the renowned Heriot-Watt University in the UK, offering a Postgraduate Program in "Energy" (MSc in Energy), which course is taught in a wide range of modern energy and environmental issues.
At the same time, the Laboratory has accumulated significant experience in carrying out research and study projects on Renewable Energy-Environmental Technology, focusing on areas such as:
- Applications wind-solar energy use and water resources
- Technical and economic evaluation of energy investments
- Hybrid energy systems
- Hydro-wind energy systems
- Rational management and energy savings in the building sector
- Energy storage systems
- Efficient use of energy in industry
- CHP systems
- Study of energy behavior - Prediction of the flow field in Fluid Machinery
- Study of desalination plants with renewable energy
- Environmental impact of power plants
- Biofuels-Alternative Fuels
Finally, the Laboratory published a significant number of papers in international and national journals and conferences. It has also published an adequate number of books in the area of Applications of Renewable Energy and the Environment Protection and edits international publications on contemporary energy issues.